Sunday 22 January 2012

Religion: hoax or reality?


Disclaimer: Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that I am in no way condemning religion in any shape or form, or doubting anyone's opinion to believe in any form of doctrine. I am purely stating my own opinions and thoughts but in no way am i enforcing them to be the truth. I also find religion and spirituality extremely fascinating, but do not conform to it. If you are sensitive to content criticising religion, please do not read.
~~

So let's begin.
Being someone that has had religion thrust upon them from a young age, I know what it feels like to be told you believe in something without a second thought, or any doubt. I went along with the idea of conforming to a religion for a long period of time, but up until three years ago I realised that to me, religion isn't defined by god or spirituality; it's defined by events, family and food. So is that really what religion should be about? I did some research, asked around and even ended up talking to a priest in my perplexity and found out the answer: no. From within, I should believe in the higher power, believe in the ideologies and it should become a part of me. I should not re-construct myself to become a part of it.


To a certain extent, I think that religion is something society needs. Hope; belief that the human population is not completely alone, and that there is a higher power looking out for you. These can all be pretty reassuring things, and studies show that piety is a tactic in which depression is combated. But does spirituality and religion come at a price? Are they used by society to threaten a generation? I have in my lifetime(which isn't very long to judge), heard in many languages and forms people essentially being told that they are ''going to hell'' for breaking the rules of a religion. Haven't we pushed past the stages of propaganda and  brain-washing in our societies by now? We as humans have developed in all mental areas-so why are we still stuck screaming at little children that God will punish them?

As an example, lying is condemned in many religions and almost puts pressure on people-but are there any times when it is justified and needed to tell a fib? For example, although this may be a far fetched example, the case of Anne Frank, and the lie which saved her family can be considered. Without the lie, she would of been found out sooner.

So is it really okay to force views on a generation, instead of giving them the freedom of opinion?

However the other side to the argument is equally as discreditable. Rules and pressure are perhaps, needed  to maintain a structured, and panic free soceity just like laws are constitutive. Generally lying isn't okay and can lead to a generation going hay-wired.

There is much more than can be said about this but this is a just a brief glimpse into the discussion, sorry if it offends, and doesn't seem creditable to you: i have may not have enough knowledge to judge appropriately.

Thank you for reading, Natasha.

1 comment: